The program will provide, on an annual basis, two undergraduate full tuition scholarships to Nation citizens matriculating at any community college or university in the State University of New York System. The student shall receive tuition for the fall and spring semesters for four years.
To be eligible for the Tuscarora Scholarship; 1) the student must attend a SUNY school as a matriculating student; and 2) be enrolled at Tuscarora.
The recipient of the Tuscarora Nation Scholarship must fulfill a Community involvement obligation within the four years in which the scholarship award is received. Also, the recipient must remain a matriculated, degree seeking student at a college or university in the State University of New York system to continue to receive the award.
In order to be considered for the scholarship, you need to complete the following:
- Fill out the application.
- Write an essay of 200-300 words.
- Submit two Letters of Recommendation from two different people with the application materials. The people who write your letters of recommendation are the advocates. The advocate may be a teacher, supervisor, co-worker, advisor, or someone who has known you for at least a year. This person should NOT be an immediate relative. The letter and Form 1 should be completed, sealed in an envelope, and signed by the advocate when you submit them with the rest of your materials.
- Propose a Community Involvement project using guidelines on Form 2. If you are awarded the scholarship, this is the community involvement project you will perform.
- Submit high school transcripts or GED scores. High school transcripts must be sent directly to the Scholarship Committee from the high school.
- Return the application materials by April 30, 2010 to the Tuscarora Elementary School, Attention of Tuscarora Nation Scholarship Committee. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All applications sent to:
Tuscarora Nation Scholarship Committee
Attn: Jamie Gilbert
Tuscarora Elementary School
2015 Mt. Hope Road
Lewiston, NY 14092
All questions sent to: Jamie Gilbert
Niagara Wheatfield School District
Click here to download information about the scholarship (PDF)